Tuesday, June 30

The Home Stretch

Wowzers, so I guess we are almost done with our trip. We fly out of Uganda next Wednesday morning, headed back to the world of fresh vegetables, cheese, sushi, tv, movies, cars, highways, supermarkets, malls, walmarts... Well, I guess I digressed a bit there. I am pretty excited about some of those things, and some of them I imagine will seem a bit strange.

Jeffrey and I are currently in Jinja, Uganda, the "source" of the Nile River, which is pretty nutty. We've been to too many places since I last wrote to really do any justice to them. We made it Lamu Island in Kenya and spent a lovely 3 days wandering the narrow "streets," wide enough only for 2 loaded donkeys to pass, saying "Jambo!" to the friendly residents, drinking coconut water straight from the coconut in the market, sitting on a nearly empty beach, etc. It was a very cool place, like none other. From there we headed back to Mombasa, then made our way over to Hell's Gate National Park. We chose this park specifically because you are allowed to walk and bike through, so we biked and got to see plenty of giraffes, zebras, ostriches and warthogs. It was amazingly cool, and all the better because we got to do it alone, without a guide or a car, just us on our bikes, hanging out with the zebras.

Then back to Uganda, up to Sipi Falls, where I won't fill you in on the details of my time experience, just know that it was necessary for me to be near the bathroom consistently for 2 days. That brings us up to here, I'm sorry I don't have time for any more musings, or interesting tales. But there will be plenty of time for that next week, when I'm home!

1 comment:

  1. ali! i'm bummed i didn't find your blog until just now, as you are getting ready to return home -- i would have loved to have followed along with your posts from africa! but i read all the way back through the entries, and even though we haven't seen each other or spoken in quite some time, i know how amazing this trip must have been for you! so excited you got to experience it! enjoy your last few days, and have a safe trip back!

    xo
    brooke

    ReplyDelete